Sr. Bernardina D'Auria started out for the United States of America with the Father Founder's blessing. (1905)
Since 1878 the Baptistine Sisters, a Roman Catholic religious community for women, have been "preparing the way of the Lord" in the lives and hearts of God’s people. Empowered by their vowed love for God and strengthened by the bonds of Community life, they seek through education, health care, and pastoral ministry to remove those obstacles which hinder people from freely accepting the Love and Word of God into their lives.
In the late 1800's war had ravaged the towns of southern Italy and death had bereaved most families. In the small town of Angri, with husbands deceased or still at war, many mothers had to leave their children and work long hours in the fields in order to provide the food, clothing and shelter for their families. The sight of so many young children left to themselves stirred the heart of a young parish priest - Father Alfonso Maria Fusco.
In 1878 after overcoming many obstacles and convinced that this was God’s work for him Father Fusco and some pious women of the parish led by Maddalena Caputo committed themselves to caring for and educating these young children. And so began the religious Community and mission of the Sisters of St. John the Baptist, commonly known as the Baptistines.
Within his lifetime Father Fusco saw the work of his Sisters begin to spread throughout Italy and then to the United States (1906). Today, the Sisters serve in 16 countries on 5 continents.
The general government of the Congregation is located in Rome, Italy.